Tuesday, July 14, 2009

About to leave for Navy boot camp, but have bad credit. How will this affect me?

I got involved with a girl a couple of years ago and disregarded all of my credit card bills. Now I%26#039;m playing catch up. I%26#039;ve been slowly paying off my bad credit through credit agencies now for the past two years.



I%26#039;ve already signed my contract for the Navy and will be leaving for boot camp in July. I%26#039;ve researched and read that bad credit will affect my career in the military. I passed the security background check and received a pretty good job offer, Avionics Technician. What I%26#039;m worried about is will this bite me in the butt later on after boot camp or worse during boot camp?



My Uncle who was in the service for approximately 24 years made the comment that %26quot;you don%26#039;t want the military to find out you have bad credit.%26quot; So now I%26#039;m worried. I notified the classifier, the guy who assigns jobs, about the bad debt and I was still offered the above job. I%26#039;m just freaking out.



Thanks for your help.



About to leave for Navy boot camp, but have bad credit. How will this affect me?mortgage lenders





Dude, don%26#039;t worry.. this is ridiculous... they don%26#039;t care one bit that your credit is bad... just work off the bills while in bootcamp and get it all straight...



The only time bad credit might even come into play would be if you went for a way higher officer position... they don%26#039;t care about an enlisted members finance except to make sure you are a good sailor and do what is right now...



And congratulations on your commitment! Serve Proud



A1/9 7th Infantry Light Division



About to leave for Navy boot camp, but have bad credit. How will this affect me?

loan



The fact that you have been working to get yourself out of the problem for the past two years is in your favor. Just keep up with your payment arrangements, and you should have no fall-out.



The most likely way for this to cause problems is if you don%26#039;t keep up, and your creditors get in touch with your CO. Keep your nose clean, and you should be ok.



Good luck. Thank you for your service commitment!|||Hi! I was also in the Navy and actually hoping to re-enlist in the next couple of weeks. When I was in, I had bad credit, but continuosly worked on it. If you miss payments, the creditors will try to contact your command and it may go as far as the CO. You really don%26#039;t want your business out there. But as long as you keep a good record of your payments, make them on time and get them paid off, you shouldn%26#039;t have many problems. Let me stress that you need to keep a good record of your payments...like a paper trail. Just so if anything does come up, you%26#039;ll have proof of the actions you%26#039;ve been taking to clear this up. You%26#039;ll need this for just about everything you do in the military. ALWAYS have hardcopies. Having bad credit can also affect the type of job you get, i.e., if you need a clearance or not. But you have gotten Avionic Technician (AT), so you should be good to go. Just stay on track...stay out of trouble. Good luck in boot camp!|||WORRY! Your new job will, I%26#039;m sure, require a security clearance. Part of retaining that clearance is to maintain your credit. If for some reason the Navy should discover your credit problems (they do pull credit periodically) then they will research the situation and consider suspending your clearance until you can clean up your act.



Seriously! It does happen. I work with people who are in the forces every day and their security clearances get suspended because of debts they owe to my clients. If it is on your credit report, WORRY about it.



I would seriously disregard anyone else in the services (your buddies) who are ticking time bombs.



If you don%26#039;t believe me, ask Google. -%26gt; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t%26amp;ct=res%26amp;cd...|||As long as your trying to pay your bills there will be no problem.



My ex-husband was in the Army and he had awful credit and he drug mine right down with his. All they ever did was send him to classes on money management. As long as you pay your bills you shouldn%26#039;t have a problem. The military just wants to make sure your are taking care of your responsibilities. It sound like you are. Just keep it up.|||You%26#039;ll be fine, especially if you are staying current now. If you started to fall behind after going in, then you might have some trouble, but it%26#039;s never a sure thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment