Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Credit checks and Employment...should they go hand in hand?

I am really nervous. I was recently offered a job on the condition that my criminal check, credit check and references are completed first. The criminal check and reference are fine, and I will pass with flying colors....it%26#039;s the credit check I am worried about. Honestly, I am pretty sure it sucks! Not because of foreclosures, bankruptcy, repossessions and such, but simply because I (like many people) have had some financial troubles which cause late credit card payments and such.



This position is dealing with different credit card companies, and now I am afraid they will use the credit check against me and decide not to hire me.



Will companies truly pass up a potentially great employee for the sake a some late payments....how is this fair?



Credit checks and Employment...should they go hand in hand?debt consolidation loan





Companies will pass up a good potential employee if they use the credit check as a main employment indicator. There have been several studies that state that people with credit issues and problems are less likely to cause problems and miss work. In addition, they cannot link these people with higher theft either.



But in some situations, the positions need to have a person that can be bonded. People with credit issues are too high of a risk and usually are not insurable.



Credit checks and Employment...should they go hand in hand?

loan



I don%26#039;t think this should be a problem, I would think if you had bankcrupcy or other issues that it might be a problem but for a few overdue payments you should not be penalised as we have all done it at one time or another.|||Some will and some will not.



Since the position involves dealing with credit card companies and you do not have a good record of dealing with credit card companies, I can see why you are concerned.



We do credit checks on potential employees where I work to see how they have managed their financial life. Especially if they are going to be in a position where they will be handling money. There have been a couple of people that were passed over due to credit checks.



Is it fair? We think so since it%26#039;s our job to only hire people that will represent our company in the best way possible. This protects us as well as our customers.|||I think it%26#039;s more for bounced checks or other things like that show up that are against the law...|||Fair?



The company is looking for people who meet the requirements. We do not know if they have bonding or other insurance standards that require the employees in certain areas to be above a specific credit score.



Bad credit means which is not from a specific one-off event indicates the person is not financially responsible. To hire such a person for a roll related to finance would show poor judgment on the part of the company.



It might be that your credit is good enough. You do not know what standard they are looking for. I would remain positive at this stage. I would also pull my credit report if I was you and get any mistakes fixed.|||If you were a car dealer and you needed to hire a car salesman and their background check showed a conviction for auto theft, would you want to hire that person?

No comments:

Post a Comment